Living And Working In The United Kingdom (UK)
Here we present to you in practical terms living and working in the United Kingdom (UK) Nowadays the way many people from Africa are trooping into the United Kingdom is at alarming rates. Notwithstanding, we find out that many of these people relocating are going about it the wrong way.
LIVING AND WORKING IN THE UNITED KINGDOM (UK)
There are two realistic ways you can prosecute living and working in the UK the legal way.
1. Search for a job and process a work permit from your current country of residence.
2. Adopt the option of study to stay approach (highly recommended)
1. SEARCH FOR A JOB AND PROCESS WORK PERMIT:
If you’re a well qualified professional such as a medical doctor, registered nurse, healthcare-related professionals, IT professionals, software engineers and developers etc. You can get a job right from your current country of residence, provided you go about it properly and legally.
To commence your relocation plans properly, you need to do a certain professional examination or association registration or licence in your area of specialization. This is very important in that you cannot just search for a job and placed it in an application without a post-qualification professional licence attached to it. For example, professional examination such as IELTS is a prerequisite for anyone seeking employment in the UK, United States of America, Canada and most advanced countries in Europe.
It must be emphasised that a high score of acceptance standard is the only guaranteed to qualify you to apply for employment. If you have lower scores don’t bother to apply.
As a professional, if you combine your score with your qualifications you can go ahead and search for a job and apply. You stand a better chance of landing your choice job with good pay in the United Kingdom, in that the UK is one of the 5 European countries that are in urgent need of workers currently.
ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY FOR A UK WORK VISA
1. Secure a job from a UK employer that got approval from the home office.
2. Obtain a certificate of sponsorship from your employer with detailed information about the main duty you’re to perform in the UK
3. Be sure that the job offers are on the eligibility list of occupations.
4. Bs sure of guaranteed minimum wage payments.
If you scale the hurdle of the eligibility you can proceed to apply for a work visa which you can conveniently complete online. Remember, it is better done in your country of residence.
HOW TO QUALIFY TO APPLY FOR A WORK VISA
1. You can only apply for a work visa if you’ve got a genuine offer of a job from a licensed employer based in the UK, who is automatically your sponsor.
2. The certificate of sponsorship issued by your potential employer must be with you at the time of application.
3. Be sure you pass the IELTS with an acceptable score.
BECOMING A PERMANENT RESIDENT
When you acquire a work visa and you have a work permit. All you need is to continue working for a minimum of five years without zig zagging, that is never leave or going out and coming back without express permission. You’re automatically qualified for Indefinite Leave which allows you to stay in the UK and be qualified as a British citizen thereafter.
2. ADOPT THE STUDY TO STAY APPROACH
In analysing the study to stay approach which is the sound outcome of our research efforts, I will like to tell you a brief true story.
Sometime in 2016, the setting is Muritala Muhammad International Airport, (MMIA) a Delta Airlines aeroplane arrived MMIA on a direct flight from the US. On disembarkation I saw to middle age Nigerian women in queue, clinching on big textbooks. As soon as they concluded the Immigration clearance I approached them politely asked them the reason for carrying textbooks instead of the usual hand luggage. With a smile, they said that they are preparing for Nursing professional examinations. I said you’re a US resident why can’t you search for jobs other than healthcare which is labouring intensively. Apparently, from their reply I can see that healthcare-related jobs pay better. However, you must have a professional licence before you can practice.
The point I’m making here is that these ladies are living and working in the United States legally, but doing anyhow jobs that are not paying them a living wage, therefore, they focused on changing their present conditions by studying hard for a Nursing professional certificate and licence.
STILL ON LIVING AND WORKING IN THE UNITED KINGDOM (UK)
For you who is yet to jet out, the best favour you can do yourself is to invest your resources and precious time in studying for a profession that will enable you to get a sought after job after your studies.
It may involve heavy financial investment and time consuming but the end will justify the means if you plan properly.
This is how to go about it:
1. Search for a College or university in the UK that offers advanced courses in the area you believed will enable you to get proper training in your area of specialization.
2. Apply and obtain an acceptance of an offer from your selected college or university.
3. Pay the appropriate study or school fees to enable you to apply for a UK student visa
4. Apply for a student visa at the UK visa application centre near you.
THE ADVANTAGE OF STUDY TO STAY APPROACH
1. One of the greatest advantages of the study to stay approach is that there are some University in the UK that you can apply to which doesn’t require IELTS. Because you’re coming from an English speaking country.
2. Remember if you’re a registered nurse or a medical doctor, intend to further your studies, you will not spend the same years as someone applying with a Secondary school certificate.
3. Studying in the UK for short term studies currently guaranteed or assured you that after studies the system will enable you to stay and secure a job of your choice.
4. If you intend to move on you know full well that the certificate you sought is acceptable anywhere because it was obtained in the United Kingdom.
3. The feeling that you’re studying in an advanced country, a place that is adjudged to be the second most preferred destination for international students besides the United States is enough to motivate you to succeed.
4. The period of studies can be used to familiarize yourself with the country, thereby separate you from green on, arriving newly and start working in a strange environment.
5. Finally you will be familiar with the system of doing things and know where to secure your choice of employment without zigzagging.
WHY CHOOSING THE UK
1. The biggest advantage of you selecting the United Kingdom is the language. Understanding English which is the mother language here gives you an unquantifiable edge in your starting point here. If you don’t believe pay a visit to nearby France or Germany.
2. the UK is by far the country that accommodated the largest number of your countrymen and women, therefore moving around become easy because you’re never in a strange environment. Your local food is readily available whenever you need it and at an affordable price.
3. Studies in the UK gives you an edge internationally, your credentials are accepted without question. Hence study here make you an international person.
4. Safety and Security. All horrible things that may be given you sleepless nights in your countries of birth, such as banditry, arm robbery, kidnappings and other violent crimes that you’re hearing and used to on daily basis are non-existent here, the feelings that you’re in a safe country is enough to enable you to excel.
STILL ON, LIVING AND WORKING IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
HOW TO APPLY FOR A STUDENT VISA
If you have the prerequisites getting a student visa is not difficult.
This is how to go about it:
1. Apply for admission to a UK university and get an acceptance of an offer.
2. Pay the school fees, ensure you pay a reasonable percentage if you can not pay the whole charges.
3. Do the Tuberculosis test results
4. Obtain and complete a student visa application form
Take the following documents to a visa application centre in your country of residence:
1. Your international passport with more than twelve months validity and unused visa pages
2. The original copy of the acceptance of an offer from the university of your choice in the UK
3. A recent passport-sized photograph with white background.
4. A completed application form duly filled and signed by you.
5. Proof of payment of school fees.
6. A comprehensive statement of your bank account or your sponsor.
7. Evidence of the result of the Tuberculosis test.
8. Copy of all the documents used in processing the admission.
9. Evidence of health insurance taken out on your behalf by the university in the UK
10. Evidence of being COVID-19 negative.
At the visa application centre you’re required to do the following:
1. Pay the student visa application processing fee.
2. Do the biometric fingerprints scan and other formalities as directed by the centre’s official.
3. Be punctual to the application centre.
5. Enquire how long for the visa to be ready.
THE BOTTOM LINE ON LIVING AND WORKING IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
Living and working in a foreign country could be a difficult task especially at the onset, therefore, you have to be focused to weather the storm as a new arrival.
Be ready to adapt and learn the system of doing things in the UK, which is quite different from where you are coming from.
Remember, the system does not give room for cutting a corner or live by corruption means. Things are done by the laydown rules. You have no choice than studying the way they conduct business here and follow them. If you choose to do things the illegal ways, it may send you into serious trouble. Moderation is key in all you do, even in conducting your personal religious beliefs.
Finally, stay away from anything illegal, be it drug, or fraudulent activities.
Do not say I did not tell.